Thursday, October 25, 2007

American Girl dolls

I'm not yet sure whether I want to thank or admonish the person who mentioned American Girl dolls during the break in our class yesterday. The full cast of historical dolls are here. Or, if you want to see them up close, I suppose that you can do so at their Atlanta "boutique and bistro."

3 comments:

Roopika Risam said...

Since they've now caught up the 70s, when can we expect the 2000s?

Can't you just picture a doll in a skimpy tank top and short shorts that comes with her very own duct tape and plastic sheeting?

Amy said...

Professor Elliott, now you've come across the strange world that is adolescent feminity! These dolls were the "cool" thing to have back in my elementary school...

It's interesting to note that characters like "Nellie" (the servant girl counterpart to the original character, Samantha) were added later. First they did the "fun" characters who were wealthy and provided for, and then they added the "others" -- minorities, dolls representing girls from the working classes, dolls representing more difficult periods in American history.

Camila Aschner said...

So I wonder which of them were "cooler" to have...